HealthStreet’s Response to the Opioid Crisis

NARCAN® Nasal Spray Distribution Initiative

HealthStreet was invited to partner with the Florida Department of Children and Families to fight the opioid epidemic by distributing an expensive life-saving drug, free of charge, to our community members. Opioid addiction has been a leading cause of death in our country, with Florida reporting a high number of deaths: 3,340 deaths and 9,272 non-fatal opioid overdoses in 2019. Reports of deaths are still unavailable for 2020. The administration of  NARCAN®Nasal Spray (also known as naloxone) to an individual who has overdosed can save a life.  Our Community Health Workers are trained on the proper use of NARCAN®Nasal Spray and are distributing this to as many people as possible during outreach. Our goal is to distribute as many units of NARCAN® as there were opioid-related deaths in 2019. During the COVID-19 pandemic, many communities have seen an increase in overdoses.

What does NARCAN® Nasal Spray do?

Narcan® saves lives. Narcan® reverses the effects of an opioid overdose. HealthStreet distributes this life-saving drug free to our community.

Who can administer NARCAN®  Nasal Spray?

Anyone can administer this to a person who is experiencing an opioid-related overdose. The Florida Good Samaritan law states: “A person who does [this] in good faith and without compensation is not liable for any civil or other damages as the result of the act.”

How is Narcan® administered?

Narcan® is sprayed into a person’s nose. The directions are displayed on the box.

Who should carry NARCAN®?

Everyone. One never knows when you will need it.

What can I do? Where can I get it?

Our Community Health Workers have been distributing NARCAN® at motels, hotels, gas stations, grocery stores, and malls. Please take one when you see them or call us at 352-294-4880. Take it with you wherever you go. It can fit in your purse or your backpack. You never know when you will need to save a life!

Here is what some people have told us recently:

We actually used Narcan spray to save the life of one of our customers recently. We are so happy we had it on hand

“My parents administered Narcan nasal spray to me after finding me with pinpoint pupils and incoherent. I am writing this today cause Narcan saved my life! Thank you for this miracle drug”

“A traffic jam was due to someone in their car overdosing. I happened to have Narcan with me in my car and was able to save a life. I had no idea this drug would be used by me in a real situation”.

In order to surpass our goal, and to save lives, we need your help.  For more information about how you can obtain NARCAN® from HealthStreet, please call us at 352-294-4880.  Thank you for helping keep our community safe.

Additional Resources: